RFI

[RFI] RFI Troubles

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI Troubles
From: Gerry Maira <gm@netsync.net> (Gerry Maira)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:12:31 -0500
Don, Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to remove the ground wire I connected to the
computer. It isn't helping to reduce the RFI anyway. What I did was connect a
wire to the computer chassis and run it to main ground wire in the basement. The
computer was designed to be grounded, but there is no ground wire in AC wiring
in this house. There is only a ground wire in the basement where the main lines
come in, and that is connected to the water main.

As an update...

I was supposed to install a high-pass filter on the neighbor's TV today at noon.
We had agreed on this day and time. He was home, but he wouldn't answer his door
or his phone at noon or a little later either. The same thing happened on
Friday. So, I left him a polite note tonight asking him to contact me within the
next couple days if he still wants help in getting rid of the RFI. I also
printed out a copy of this -
http://204.245.190.45/tech_ed_and_training/resources/67-12005.cfm which has
general information about RFI, and describes what his responsibilities are in
resolving the problem. If I don't hear from him, I'll start operating again
while he is home. If he complains, I think the first thing the FCC will tell him
is to cooperate with me and the landlord to get the proper filters installed on
his equipment. I'll continue to be polite and offer to help, but if he won't
cooperate, he has no basis for complaining.

Thanks again for all the replies. I don't think I've ever had such a good
response to a question asked on an email list.

73, Gerry Maira KA2MGE

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/rfi