RFI

[RFI] Broad band Cable Modem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Broad band Cable Modem
From: w8rhs@wvinter.net (Elbert E. Flanagan)
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 17:02:18 -0400
Would appreciate any comments or fixes you can recommend concerning RFI
into a neighbor's computer- a new 1.6 gigahertz. The location is within
50 feet of my radio hamshack.  The problem mainly appears when I run
Radio Teletype  at low power, 50 watts or less on the 30 and 40 meter
amateur bands. Other modes does not appear to cause the problem,  RTTY
is a constant carrier transmission type. No problems experienced in my
residence on TVI, telephones (including wireless) and stereo equipment.
The cable TV company has updated all coax cables , not because of my
problems but to be digital capable.  I understand others have had
similar experiences.
The external modem with AC power supply, shuts down-- no other problems
experienced with the computer normal operation.  I have provided an EMI
ac line filter for the modem power source which helps but not a cure..
Thanks    W8RHS