RFI

[RFI] Recommended PC Components for Low EMI/RFI?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Recommended PC Components for Low EMI/RFI?
From: Colburn <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:10:51 -0500
I am about to assemble a new PC.  I would like to select
components that have better than average resistance to
external RF and minimal output of same.

I'd like to start with the motherboard.  While I am fond
of the features of the EPoX 8KRA2+ (I am told that it is
just now out of production and replaced by the 8KRAI so
dealers still have them). I cannot find any data re.
EMI/RFI specs. (Indeed there is little if any comparative
data between mobos anywhere.)

8KRA2+ Specs: http://www.bit-tech.net/review/272/

I have been told that the Intel and Tyan boards are
superior for EMI/RFI, though I have seen no comparative
data to prove that.

Albatron has a series of silver coated boards that claim
exceptional EMI/RFI specs but compared to what?

Then I need to select a case and power supply:  ATX,
400 watts or better, front panel USB access ... but
aluminum or steel?  I don't care about looks, certainly
not about clear side panels or colorful lights ... just
stability and low EMI/RFI.

Finally, what about the choice of mouse and keyboard?

I am aware of monitor issues and will address those
separately since the budget doesn't permit addressing
it right now.

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

--
"Wars and rumors of wars, disasters, and social decay,
yet undaunted for love and peace we pray."  dmc