RFI

Re: [RFI] Internet access (Dave Harmon)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Internet access (Dave Harmon)
From: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:48:06 -0800 (PST)
I struggled with dial-up for a long time.  At one time I tried a Sprint card
(via a 3rd-party provider, whose name escapes me).  According to Sprint's
coverage maps I should have had good service, but they lied.

My electric coop---one of the Touchstone Energy group---offers services from
Transworld Network (TWN) and they offer Wi-Power, a Wi-Max system, but a
mountain ridge between me and their access point blocked coverage.

I finally wrote to the CEO of the co-op and the next thing I know I got a call
from Milt, N5IA.  Milt worked for another co-op for years in Eastern AZ and had
built his own Wi-Max system in his community.  Wi-Power bought his business and
hired him so he was now in charge of new services.  He found another existing
250' tower, 8 miles line-of-sight from me, (already owned by the co-op) and had
an access point installed there.

Because of the construction of my house, flat roof, no attic, no basement,
running new cable was out of the question.  I had one empty 1/2" conduit from
the roof to a utility closet.  The Wi-Max receiver output (Ethernet) comes in
through the conduit to a Iinksys Wireless-G router.

This has been nearly flawless for over a year.

So John, I think that you are on a co-op.  If I'm right, you might approach
them to see if they can, or have given thought, to providing Internet service.

To your original question I can say that I don't foresee any issues, although
I'm not familiar with Belkin modems.

I already had a wireless modem but opted to pay the few bucks extra for the one
offered by TWN just to avoid finger pointing if there were any problems.  I
suggest that you do the same if you go to WB.

BTW, I have at least 3 neighbors that I know of who had WB and went to Wi-Power
once I got us service :-)

Wes  N7WS