RFI

Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Defibrillator and RF Exposure Query
From: David Garnier <dgarnier@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 12:15:12 -0500
Dan & Dennis,

I am wondering if you have gotten any other replies to your inquiry
about susceptibility of implanted cardiac pacemaker/defib yet?

Short of a definitive answer, _this is what I would ask your Cardiologist_,

1) _First off_, if he/she isn't willing to spend time with you
(addressing your
health care concern) get another doc!
2) Ask, _"Who is the manufacture of this device?"_
3) Ask to see any/all enclosed information on device. Look for the
manufacture's
statement on "_what technical standards this device meets or complies to?_)

4) Call the manufacture, ask: "_What EMC standards does your device
comply to?_"

5) I honestly don't know what standards the FDA requires for this device.
6) Try searching the FDA's website, you might find the standards
requirements there.
www.fda.gov

7) The most definitive standard on this particular device (that I have
found) is an
AAMI standard called _ANSI/AAMI PC69:2000_,) "PC69" for short.

8) If the mfg'er says, "We comply with this standard" - _it appears_ the
test susceptibility
levels in this PC69 standard _are 200 volts/meter_.  (These are the kind
of levels auto's
are tested to. This is a good start.)

9) _Now comes the tricky part_.  As I read the "/Forward/" to this
standard, I see
words like "_shall, should, can and must_."  These words mean different
things.
I need to study this document much closer "to glean the context" to
which these
words apply to (if any.)

10) _Further comment to all_ that maybe interested in this topic, you
can purchase
this standard yourself from  _http://www.aami.org/_

Any Comments?

Regards,