RFI

Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:27:25 +0000
Tom Rauch wrote:
> In S. Amherst, Ohio I had problems with a 138kV line more
> than a mile from my house. My noise floor was about 10dB
> higher in that direction on dry days, and maybe 30 dB higher
> on wet days. I had a similar problem in Sylvania Ohio with a
> 69KV line on steel towers about 1/2 mile away. In Rockdale
> County GA a 345kV line about 3 miles away was a constant
> problem....I made it a rule to never live within five miles of a line
> like that.

I can add my own story to Tom's.  In my case, I had a high-tension line
about a mile south of me at my last QTH, in central NY.  I could always
find an increase in the noise floor from it.

Perhaps some *are* cleaner than others -- but I've never seen any signs
on the tower legs saying which ones were the "clean" ones....

Bud, W2RU