RFI

Re: [RFI] 138kv power lines

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 138kv power lines
From: Mike Coslo <mcoslo@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:38:31 -0400
Rick Karlquist wrote:

>Jim Jarvis wrote:
>

>>Truth there...but other reasons: a) resale would suck due to
>>uninformed hysteria.
>>

>Some real estate market info:
>
>When I was looking for property in 1997, I looked at dozens of
>10 and 20 acre vacant parcels.  I would say at least 1/3 of them
>turned out to be VERY close to high tension lines.  Maybe
>that is why no one had ever built a house on them.  I don't
>think this is a coincidence.  Properties under these lines just
>don't sell.  The customer is always right, even when he believes
>in junk science.
>

>I happen to know of a 55 acre property which has a 500 kV line
>running right through it.  The line is really big, being a main intertie
>between the San Francisco bay area and the central valley.
>As a bonus, there is a huge substation right next to the property.
>The property has been for sale since at least 1990.  The bank that owns
>the property after foreclosing has not been able to give it away, even
>asking only $10K/acre (<1 mile away, they're getting a million $ an acre).

    One does not need to believe in junk science to not want to buy that
property! Take the longest end of transmission line at either end,
subtract whatever height from that, and you get an approximate radius
where you simply don't want to be. I've seen the results of a high
tension wire on the ground about 100 feet from my parents house. Pretty
purple light, but the wire dances around in a nasty fashion. A fellow I
know lost a leg and messed up his arm from a fallen high tension wire
too. No junk science, no hysteria, just a whole lot of energy, ready to
ruin a fellow's day.

    - 73 de Mike KB3EIA -