RFI

Re: [RFI] RV Converter Issue

To: MICHAEL ST ANGELO <mstangelo@comcast.net>, David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RV Converter Issue
From: AA5CT via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 01:18:05 +0000 (UTC)
 re: " I do not trust claims of a true sinewave inverter for $50! ! Copper and
iron required for the output transformer "

None of these inverters is close to the old "static" inverters built over 40
years
ago using Germanium transistors that weighed in at 30 to 100 pounds depending
on rating. I had a 1,000 watt 12 VDC to 110 AC 'static' inverter of that nature
in 1983
and it was a BEAST. They used ferro resonant techniques to achieve a sinusoidal
output.

Today, they chop at a high frequency, vary the pulsewidth, invert with an
H-bridge
and then filter to arrive at something close to the shape of a sine wave.

This is as opposed to the units which provide a 60 Hz rectangular pulse
alternately
positive then negative (with dead time in between) which works out
mathematically
to be close to 120 V RMS and ~ 150 V pk when actually measured with an O-scope
whereas a real sinewave has a peak of ~ 170 Volts, a smooth continuous shape
and
no waveform dead time.

 de AA5CT
     On Monday, December 16, 2019, 6:44:53 PM CST, David Eckhardt
<davearea51a@gmail.com> wrote:

 BTW, it is not the least expensive unit.  I do not trust claims of a true
sinewave inverter for $50! !  Copper and iron required for the output
transformer at 300-watts can not be sourced responsibly for that price,
even in China.  If I remember, my inverter was 'around' $250.  But, it is
CLEAN.

I checked those at Harbor Freight in the $50 range that claimed to be clean
and pure sinewave before buying the referenced unit.  They were as dirty as
you might imagine and not massive enough to have a real copper and iron
transformer on the output at 120 vac.

Dave - WØLEV

--

*Dave - WØLEV*