RFI

Re: [RFI] Car Advice

To: RFI Reflector <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Car Advice
From: kd4e <doc@kd4e.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:36:38 -0500
They announced a few weeks back that they were halting construction -
could have been a bargaining ploy to squeeze money out of Congress.
I have not heard that they changed their minds but have been traveling
for 10 days and have not watched things closely.

USA cars were junk in the 70's and into the 80's but quality has improved
greatly and some of the best fuel mileage and most interesting vehicle
designs have come from USA manufacturers over the past decade.

Removing absurd regs and ridiculous labor contracts would level the
playing field with foreign cars - if they didn't have to compete on such
an imbalanced field they'd be able to again succeed - as it is they have
to cut corners to get the price (because it costs them LOTS more to
build the same car in a USA-unionized plant than what it costs foreign
manufacturers in non-union shops).  Just a reality of the marketplace.

I have not yet tried my FT-857D in our 2008 Chevy Malibu - will do so
soon and report back.  (Our 1999 Chevy 1500 van is RF-noisy but that
could be age versus design.)

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
FS/Swap/Wanted: http://kd4e.com/swapn.html