RFI

Re: Topband: From CO8LY

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: From CO8LY
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:52:14 -0400
Eduardo Somoano C wrote:
> I write to you to ask for a big favor. I own an old YAESU FT-747 which final
> RF
>
> power transistors 2SC2290 or 2SC3240 were damaged.
>
> I have not been able to find them, allthough I have searched ansiously.

I hope we can help Eduardo but there are some restrictions in sending
parcels from the U.S. which make a European source not as problematic.
Only problem is the cost of DHL from the UK to Cuba want 36 UK Pounds
for a 2kg packet.  Shipping from Mexico or the Bahamas is less costly.
Also the new U.S. rules for gift parcels allows shipment of "certain
consumer communications devices" but whether or not small transistors to
repair such a device should, but I am not absolutely sure, fall under
that exemption.

The new U.S. Regs provide the following:

/*Q*: *What changes were made to the items eligible for export to Cuba
in gift parcels?*/
*A*: In addition to the items previously eligible, gift parcels may now
include civilian clothing, personal hygiene items, seeds, veterinary
medicines and supplies, fishing equipment and supplies, soap-making
equipment, and other non-sensitive items of a type normally sent as
gifts between individuals, including *certain consumer communications
devices.*

/*Q*: *Who may send gift parcels to Cuba?*/
*A*: Any individual is an eligible donor.

I checked MCM but came up empty with those part numbers.  Perhaps Newark
or Mouser would have them.  I checked with the USPS here and they will
accept only letters not parcels for Cuba.  I presume other carriers such
as DHL have a way to get things there.

Please help Eduardo if you can.  He has been there in the contests when
you needed him.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ