RFI

Re: [RFI] RF Effect on Radio

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF Effect on Radio
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:23:02 -0800
On 12/9/2010 3:24 PM, David C. Hallam wrote:
> I have a JVC UX-D66 micro component audio system.  Whenever I transmit,
> it turns on in the CD mode and the cover for the CD changer opens.

The most likely cause is a Pin 1 Problem in your audio system.  One of
the cables connected to it is acting like a receiving antenna to excite
the Pin 1 Problem.  The easiest fix is a common mode choke formed by
winding multiple turns of the problematic cable through a ferrite core.

Study http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf  to understand the Pin 1
Problem, and use the graphs in Appendix One as a guideline for winding
the chokes. There's additional tutorial material at
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC