RFI

[RFI] Do we neglect problems and fix symptoms?

To: RFI <RFI@Contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Do we neglect problems and fix symptoms?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:36:13 -0500
Some times the approach to fixing problems seems more like treating the
common cold. IE fixing the symptoms instead of the problems.
IF one station uses a piece of equipment with no problems, yet another
has problems I would suspect the equipment first and then look into
installing chokes.  Chokes work very well in many instances, but I think
we some times over look the problem and fix the symptoms. When some one
says they use a piece of equipment with no problems while some one else
has problems with the same make and model it rings a warning bell to me.
Yes, we can often get rid of the hash from a malfunctioning power
supply, wall wart, networking equipment, or what have you. It's just if
there is a problem with the piece equipment I'd rather fix or replace
it. If the problem if inherent in that make and model and I liked the
make and model THEN I'd resort to getting ris of the symptoms of have to
be either poor design, construction, or even quality of components.

Equipment is sold with problems/flaws including some mighty expensive,
top end ham equipment.  Generally the ham equipment manufacturer will
have programs to to fix these problems in ham equipment. This doesn't
seem to be much of a concern with other types of equipment which is why
the last piece of equipment I purchased, (a 5 port gigabit router (CAT6)
with long range wireless capability) I voiced concerns about
interference.  The stores comments?  If you have problems you can return
it (no charge) within 30 days.  I've managed to get this arrangement on
washers, dryers, diswashers, and TV sets.  With TV sets they told me I
could keep trying them until I found one I like. Of course they already
had the money and I was committed to keeping one.

About the only thing I've not been able to apply that too has been ham
equipment, but the user groups are a gold mine of information and that
gets back to the manufacturer and they in turn seem to keep most groups
informed at least on an informal basis.

73

Roger (K8RI)