RFI

Re: [RFI] ATT Uverse

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ATT Uverse
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:11:37 -0800
Over the last year or so, I have seen MANY posts regarding ATT Uverse
being unable to reject HF RF. I recently saw a post on another list from
a ham whose neighbor's interference complaint has been given up on by
ATT, and is being blamed by ATT on "ham radio."

IF the coupling mechanism is RF coupled onto external wiring, it MAY be
possible to kill the RFI with very aggressive  common mode chokes on
that wiring, and by using high quality twisted pair (CAT5/6/7) for that
wiring. But if the problem is poor shielding and/or poor internal layout
of the Uverse modem, the only solution is to replace the modem.  By
"aggressive," I mean choking impedance on the order of 10-20K ohms at
the frequencies of interest.

Until or unless this situation changes, hams (and their neighbors)
should avoid ATT Uverse like a plague.  And I would urge anyone with a
complaint to get the FCC involved, perhaps with the help of ARRL.  ATT's
attitude makes this a POLITICAL problem, and political problems require
political solutions (like the involvement of ARRL). And by political, I
do NOT mean Dem/Repub. :)

73, Jim Brown K9YC