RFI

Re: [RFI] Fixing Pin 1 Problems

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fixing Pin 1 Problems
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:15:02 -0500
On 1/13/2011 3:08 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 1/12/2011 2:49 PM, dalej wrote:
>> How would I cure a pin one problem in a particular piece of equipment.
>> Would I look at the input XLR or TRS and put that pin one directly to ground
>> or the chassis somewhere close to the receptacle?
> Let's stop confusing things by using the word "ground" when we talk
> about a connection to the chassis, or to circuit common.
I choose to use the word ground because that is what I used.  I had an
intermittent problem with something that appeared to be pin one and then
it didn't.  The hand mike on the 756 Pro worked just fine and did for
several years. I added an Alpha 76A  and things still worked fine 160
through 10.

Then one day it started picking up a signal.  I turned the amp off and
it was still there. Key the mike and it was full output and it didn't
matter what level I had the drive set.  Be it 5 watts I had 5 out, 100
and I had 100 out. It sounded like 60 or 120 cycle AC and was not RF
feedback. Then I discovered if I reached up and put a finger on any
"grounded" bare metal in the station the hum would go away.  So, I
physically grounded the shield in the mike cable to the "grounded"
chassis.  No more hum.  Of course Icom uses that shield as a return for
some control functions which I no longer had after grounding it. Then
again I never used the mike controls except for the PTT.

More recently, switching to a Heil pro headset and no hum with it
either. No RF feedback with either the Alpha or the Emtron at the legal
limit although I did have to install a current balun in the feedline to
the 75 meter antenna at the tower near the remote antenna switch to get
rid of the RF coming back into the shack and lighting all the LEDs. <:-))

The only noise I get from the Heil headset is due to background noise in
the shop. Humidifier, furnace, and who shop filter.  Too bad the mike
isn't directional AND noise canceling like the ones in aviation headsets.
My voice has a very high peak to average power and with the sensitive,
non directional mike I can use very little compression or it does a good
job of putting out all the noise in the shop.  I usually turn off the
humidifier, but the furnace and filter have to keep going. With just a
little compression the darn thing even picks up the fan on the amp.

73

Roger (K8RI)