RFI

Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.

To: Rick Scott <w7psk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Help with Bad RFI.
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:50:02 -0700
Rick,

The noise schedule of 12 hours on and 12 hours off may be ballast noise
from a grow light.  I have had several of these in my neighborhood.  The
on/off schedule is consistent with the growing schedule of some plants.

I constructed a small loop for 40 meters that I used to find the
source.  Construction details are on my web site
http://www.tomthompson.com under amateur radio/receiving loop antenna.
The noise I am working on now is coming from two Lumatek LK-1000, 1000
watt ballasts located in the basement of a house about 700 feet away.  I
have had some success mitigating the noise with common mode chokes right
at the ballasts.

Tom   W0IVJ