RFI

[RFI] Computer birdies

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Computer birdies
From: Steve <steve65@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:16:38 -0400
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with birdies at approximately 61KHz spacing on 40
through 6 meters. Aside from just being annoying, they are of great
enough amplitude to mask desired signals.

The source of the birdies appears to be my recently acquired Dell
Inspiron desktop computer and/or Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router. I use
the computer for logging and other radio related purposes and it is
located on the floor beneath my radio operating table. The computer is
hardwired to the router with a common RF45 cable. The router is about
10ft away from the computer.

The birdies disappear if:
1. Power is removed from the router
2. Either end of the RJ45 cable is unplugged
3. AC power to the desktop computer is removed. (Just doing the Windows
shutdown does not affect the birdies.)

The birdies evidently make their way into my receiver via my antenna.
The birdies are gone if I disconnect the antenna from the transceiver.
Switching from my antenna to a dummy load causes the level of the
birdies to drop from S9 to still audible but not deflecting the S meter
on 20 meters.

Anyone ran into this kind of thing before? Advice as to how to rid
myself of these unwanted signals?

Thanks.

Steve K8JQ