RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer birdies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer birdies
From: Steve <steve65@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:11:09 -0400
Thank you Jim. I happen to have a few #31 cores, 2.4in OD. At the
computer end of the ethernet cable I began threading the cable through
the core and made some observations along the way as I measured the
birdie at 14015KHz on the S meter of my ICOM IC-7800:
turns 0,    S-meter reading    S 8.5
turns 1,    S-meter reading    S 8.5
turns 2,    S-meter reading    S 7.5
turns 3,    S-meter reading    S6
turns 4,    S-meter reading    S4
turns 5,    S-meter reading    S2
turns 6,    S-meter reading    S2
turns 7,    S-meter reading    S1
turns 8,    S-meter reading    no S-meter movement, barely audible

There appears to be a similar reduction in birdie level on the other
bands. The birdies are not gone but they are now at a level I can live
with. Wonder if I could get away from them completely by installing a
wireless card in the Dell Inspirion?

Out of curiosity I switched the cable ends and found that putting the 8
turns at the router raised the S-meter reading from no movement to S7.
Evidently the computer is the source of the birdies. So I switched the
cable back to having the 8 turns at the computer.

A second #31 core with 5 turns at the router made no discernible
difference in either S-meter reading or to my ear.

73,

Steve K8JQ