RFI

Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal

To: CliffHazen@aol.com, kelly@thejohnsons.ws, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:00:08 -0500
At 04:12 PM 2/13/04 -0500, CliffHazen@aol.com wrote:
I've heard comments inside the electrical power industry on BPL that there is
expectation that many amateur radio operators will not complain because it is
their only option for high speed low cost internet access and VOIP in rural
areas with no cable or dsl options. Many amateurs have already chosen to live
in those areas for low noise rx conditions and may be willing to sacrifice
living with extra rf noise to keep peace in their internet family.

Whistling in the dark.

Look how few amateur radio comments there were to the FCC on BPL, less than
1% of us.

Over 5000 people who took the trouble to enter comments? I'd say that's really pretty remarkable.

The power industry knew that there would be too much resistance if they tried
to use the commercial broadcast FM or TV bands because of the potential of
millions of interference complaints.

So they stepped on FEMA instead?

A large number of amateur operators now restrict their operation is some way
now to have peace in the house and with neighbors because of lowest cost
design in home electronics; no rf shielding, inadequate filtering.

Look, why don't we wait, see what the NPRM says (not some half-page press release), take a little time to analyze it and *then* have this discussion.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm