RFI

[RFI] RFI with sound bites

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI with sound bites
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 00:14:36 -0500
I'm having a horrific level of QRM which seems to bother 160M and 30M
the most. My inclination is it's a street light that is causing the
noise as I often notice it at gray line times. I was working the ARRL
160M contest and it started up around 11PM local time. It was
sufficient to ruin any chance of QSOs during the contest so I taped
it first with a 200Hz filter on CW and you can hear what it sounds
like to me. no file is more than 400k in size.

Its often a repetitious rhythm of buzz that happens 2-3 times per
second with occasional dead times of several seconds and then back to
it again. Sometimes it is persistent for several minutes and then
back to the buzz-rhythm.

Here is a view of the QTH. My house is the last one, at the end of
the road & next to the rail line. I am sandwiched between two state
parks. Other than Amtrak being beside the house and the people on the
road south of me, there is no other house or signal generation within
a mile. Mt antennae are wires in trees next to the salt marsh.

http://tinyurl.com/cy7zv7h

Here's #1 with the 200HZ filter during the contest at the bottom of
the band and then tuned below the ham band for no CW in the
background for comparison.

http://doctorgary.net/1-QRM-2.8KHz-CW-filter-160M.mp3

Then I recorded the same conditions on LSB with a 4K filter. I did
the same and dialed below the contest for comparison.

http://doctorgary.net/2-QRM-4KHz-LSB-160M.mp3

So as often happens, it stops for no known reason. I went outside
with the AM and got half way down the drive and it stopped. I saw no
street light flickering. I came back and made a similar tape with
4KHz LSB and you can hear the difference in what I can hear. I also
drifted below the band for comparison

http://doctorgary.net/3-QRM-gone-4KHz-LSB-160M.mp3

Sat at around 7 AM it started and I had to stop calling CQ and quit
because I couldn't make out anyone who wasn't extremely loud.

Any idea what this sounds like it might be so I can deal with it?

& thanks!

Gary
KA1J