RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:37:30 -0800
On 1/22/2013 9:14 AM, David Robbins wrote:
what would distinguish the sound of that sweep from that from something else
sweeping across a different frequency range?

What we "hear" on a recording and "see" in a spectrum display is the MODULATION produced by the noise source. I don't have the experience chasing noise sources that many of the RFI professionals on this list have, so I yield to those who do in noting the possible value of recordings in identifying sources.

In addition to the examples cited (street lights, treadmills), I can add, from my own experience, the sound of a cell phone transmitting back to the tower and detected in a susceptible audio product. The data is a series of short duty cycle pulses with a repetition rate on the order of 220 Hz, which puts its detected spectra in the middle of audio, and the "chatter" sound is quite distinctive. Until the Pin One Problems in commonly used mics were fixed, it was quite common to hear this sound on the air If you haven't heard this sound on news and interview programs, you haven't been listening. :)

With the wide range of noise sources, everything from switching power supplies to control circuitry for motors in various products, to lighting of all sorts, I don't find it at all hard to believe that audio recordings and spectrum recordings ARE potentially useful in giving clues as to the source. Indeed, one of my colleagues at Motorola went so far as to generate a series of "noise signatures" of cell phone products for use by the pro audio community.

73, Jim Brown K9YC
Chair, Technical Committee on EMC, Audio Engineering Society