RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 203, Issue 15

To: Wes Stewart <n7ws@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 203, Issue 15
From: Michael Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:50:03 -0500
Everyone has their own opinion,
So here's mine!
I use ultrasound on almost a daily basis. Usually when people have a difficult
time utilizing a source on a pole it's because they're on the wrong Pole. using
RF to locate the source is highly recommended and a must.
Also keep in mind that ultrasound units such as the mfj is very insensitive but
using an ultrasound device such as the radar engineers model 251, Which has
probably three times the sensitivity level of the mfj, can produce very good
results. Again it's only as good as the previous step so if you haven't
verified that the structure you're looking at contains the source you may not
be at the source structure there for the results will be poor with the next
step. I use ultrasound with about a 95% success rate. Even when I cannot
determine the source when using the ultrasound, I can usually determine what it
is because the ultrasound doesn't work.
As for the union issue, I've seen a couple of inputs concerning that and the
fact is there are Union rules and regulations that limit who can do this, not
just a safety standard.  Unions determine, in a lot of companies, who can do
what job and high voltage is an area where they often regulate. The hot stick
line sniffer that is used on the end of a hot stick is extremely functional and
100% successful. The hotstick line sniffer has an RF detector that works at 114
megahertz as well as ultrasound that is 43 kilohertz. Both work well but may
only be used by people qualified to work in the primary zone or within the
minimum approach distance.
K3RFI