RFI

[RFI] Adding a shield to the utility service lines?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Adding a shield to the utility service lines?
From: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500
Have you ever heard of a shielding product that would clamp on to existing utility service lines? I'm interested in shielding the service lines from PECO that run in a T shape on my small city lot. Ideally there would be EMT that could clamp on to them, like how the hot water copper pipe insulation works.

I guess I could cut emt into half and then fit them back together. It'd need to be fairly light.

Another crazy option is to use a metal conducting paint and paint the power lines. There are paints designed for RFI shielding. I could spray them, but it'd be hard to get full coverage.

This might be a crazy idea, but it is more likely to work than me putting up $200 of ferrites on the power lines - as I don't have any slack in them and would have to use the monster choke clamps. The ferrites might help a bit, but possibly only 1-2 db - whereas with a better shield I should get a 10+ db reduction.

The downside is that I'd need some 20 foot step ladders to do this, whereas with the ferrites I can just place them at two points (on both sides of my property).

I could track down the noise sources in my neighborhood. But there are a lot of them, and with a high turnover of renters every year - it'd be an endless fight.

Aaron