RFI

Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DigiKeyer II
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:14:44 -0800
On 12/19/2013 2:41 PM, Dale J. wrote:
So we should now bond each box to each other

Yes.

using a wide flat strap or copper mesh (shield copper) from RG8 or equivalent,

Wide flat strip is overkill, but certainly OK. The copper braid from transmitting coax is typically equivalent to #12-#10 copper. As others have noted, braid is fine inside, a train wreck outside.

then take that total bonding to a station ground such as a ground stake outside
 using large solid copper wire or to copper water piping inside the house with
the braid or strapping and bypassing around the water meter, for lightning
protection?

All of the above. Good engineering practice, as well as electrical building codes in most of the civilized world, both require that all grounds in a premises (home, biz, building, etc.) be bonded together. That includes our station operating desk, antennas, CATV entry, telco entry, power system entry, building steel if there is any, cold water if it's metallic, all driven rods, and so on. From a lightning protection point of view, the safest system has all external cables entering the premises at the same point, but that often doesn't happen, especially in older buildings. It's pretty common for newer homes here in NorCal to have power, CATV, and telco all entering at the same point, often underground. Many older homes have cables entering at widely separated points, so bonding conductors must be much longer. In general, we can have as many connections to earth as we want, but they must all be bonded together, and the shortest practical path is generally best.

73, Jim K9YC