RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC..

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC..
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 22:25:44 -0500
> I really don't care too much how the FCC accomplishes it's job, as long as it is accomplishing it's jobs correctly.

At the FCC Forum at Pacificon a couple of years ago (2012, I think) FCC Enforcement Counsel Laura Smith was asked directly and specifically about problems caused by RFI from consumer devices. In a nutshell, she replied that the FCC would take enforcement action when Congress directed the FCC to do so and not before. In the language of the Executive Branch, that means when Congress creates spending authority for them to do so. That responsibility lies in House of Representatives and they are not asking the FCC to impede commerce (i.e. inconvenience their campaign donors) in order to respond to complaints from ham radio operators.

It is possible that if the broadcasters and mobile networking companies turn up the heat on *both* the FCC and the House, with support from the hams, there might be some action taken. Until then, or there is some tragedy or security problem caused by RFI from a non-compliant device, petitioning (or blaming) the White House is pretty much pointless. You need to patiently explain to your Congressional Representative (not your senator) what the problem is and hope they hear the same message from the AM broadcasters and local mobile phone provider lobbyists cutting them checks.

Until then, I think it behooves us to document, document, document so that when we have an opportunity to influence the political process we have the facts, if not the money, to do so.

73, Ward N0AX