RFI

Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb

To: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:17:32 -0400
I started looking into this subject after reading about fire hazards from LED bulbs in fully-enclosed ceiling lights. Now I see that Home Depot has units that are specifically designed to go in a 5 or 6 inch pot light can. I haven't noticed the color temperature, but the price ($28 each) was enough to put me off.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 8/10/2014 8:55 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
We have a recessed can light in our shower. The tag inside states that a 60 W incandescent in the max it can accomodate, but even a 60 W reflector bulb has pretty wimpy output. I'd beenusing a 150 W equivalent 42 W CFL, but they don't last long. Based on what I've seen here, I went to Home Depot and snagged a Cree 75W equivalent (18 W consumption) flood light. It is quite bright and, as far as I can tell, RF-quiet at HF. I listened on on the AM BC band and 160-10 m during the day (so 80 and 160 are quiet) and heard nothing from it it. I also hear nothing from it on 2 m or 20 cm. So far, so good!

Kim N5OP