RFI

Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 07:06:26 -0400
Well...my 2010 Outback and 2014 Acura TL both hear powerline noise fine. Clearly there's variation by manufacturer, but it's easy enough to test - just drive down the road alongside a power line.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
<http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 7/31/2015 8:45 PM, Don Kirk wrote:
Oops, my Saturn is 1996, not 1976.

On Friday, July 31, 2015, Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com <mailto:wd8dsb@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi Pete,

    There is some truth around car AM radios being a poor choice.  I
    was experiencing S9 noise on 160 meters that turned out to be 1.07
    miles away and my old 1976 Saturn Wagon AM radio could hear the
    noise over .75 miles away and it allowed me to get within a short
    distance from the source and I told the owners of the property to
    just tune to 1710 and they would easily hear it too.  Guess what,
    they could not hear the interference with their modem car AM radio
    whereas the interference was blowing away my car radio with both
    cars sitting next to each other right by the arcing power pole.

    I suspect a lot of the newer car radios have excellent pulse noise
    reduction.  My old Kenwood TS180s noise blanket kills power line
    noise too(except during contests when the band is loaded with
    strong signals).

    P.S.  My Saturn turned over 250,000 miles last week, and still
    going strong including it's old AM radio that is great for power
    line noise detection.

    73,
    Don (wd8dsb)

    On Friday, July 31, 2015, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com
    <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','n4zr@contesting.com');>> wrote:

        I couldn't agree less... I've been using my car radio to close
        in on noisy poles for a decade and more.  Tune to the top end
        of the AM band and drive.  Get close and take a portable radio
        from there.

        The local electric utility's RFI guy wants to do a good job,
        and has decent equipment but doesn't know how to use it. Last
        time he was floundering around with a receiver set around 100
        MHz with a hand-held log periodic that from its size probably
        started about 300 MHz.

        Next time I see him I'm going to urge one of Mike's RFI courses.

        73, Pete N4ZR
        Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
        <http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
        out the Reverse Beacon Network at
        <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
        spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
        For spots, please use your favorite
        "retail" DX cluster.

        On 7/30/2015 3:21 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:

            : I BARELY hear it on the car's built in AM radio.

            Due to the noises produced by cars, their radios are
            probably the most
            heavily suppressed  in the world.  Rule #1.  NEVER use a
            car radio to try to
            hear or find noise.

            Kurt