RFI

Re: [RFI] Old RFI back and a new one help please

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Old RFI back and a new one help please
From: "Battles,Richard" <Battles.Richard@lee.k12.al.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:08:51 -0600
Rick,

yes the power being underground does help alot with conducted rfi from
switching power supplies, and this seems to help more if you do not share the
same transformer secondary with a neighbor.  if you share the secondary with a
neighbor who does have a noisy switching power supply, or any thing else
electronic that will be conducted back into the secondary system, it will be
conducted into your home wiring, it has happen to me.

also, if a neighbor that is not sharing the same secondary, but is next door,
you could hear the rfi just from being radiated from their house wiring or any
wiring originating from their home. the idea of cutting the power to your house
is where i would start. cut each 15 or 20 amp breaker to see if the rfi will
cease, if not cut all breakers, and look for a home type UPS system, they cause
all kinds of rfi.  Cell phone chargers, battery chargers, tv sets, vcrs, dvd
players, any thing electronic these days, which most of the time is made in
china who has no regards to engineering best practice to rfi.

richard
wb4byq