RFI

[RFI] QRN Problem?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] QRN Problem?
From: Randy Bell <rfb13@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 10:06:08 -0800 (PST)
I am new to this mailing list and so am begging your
indulgence if I post incorrectly or ask any dumb
questions.  My problem is QRN.  I have two receivers
at this time, a R-5000 model Kenwood  and a Drake 2B.
Both of them are switched to the same antenna, a Alpha
Delta ?Sloper? model DX-SWL.  This is a multi-band
antenna covering AM Broadcast band through 13m.  The
lead in coax is RG-58.   Within one S-unit, they both
show a background QRN of S5 on 80m and 40m.  It
doesn?t change much throughout a 24-hour day,
sometimes it?s up to S6, sometimes down to S4.5.
Thus, stations must hit me with a fairly strong signal
for me to dig them out of the noise.  The first
question is:  Doesn?t this seem like a rather high
noise level?

Up to this point, I haven?t done much to chase this
down other than power the receivers with a UPS supply
while shutting off the main circuit breaker to the
house.  No change in noise level.  Just to ensure the
UPS supply was not the problem, I turned the house
current back on, but shut off the UPS supply.   There
was still no change to the QRN.

I?m hoping that someone has a few suggestions to get
me started in trying to reduce this noise.  Thanks in
advance for any help.

Randy in Aura, Michigan
WA8042SWL