RFI

Re: [RFI] Dimmer Switch

Subject: Re: [RFI] Dimmer Switch
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 09:12:45 -0800
"I’ll be sure to test with my portable radio before I secure the screws for the new dimmer."

Secure the screws first. Chances are, you won't be operating the dimmer hanging out of the box by wires, and some have metal shielding/frame, both part of the ground, and for RFI/EMI. You'll want to test under real-world operating conditions.

Test everywhere you can for RFI. I have come across LED light bulbs that push their noise into the FM broadcast band, where it's unlikely to be heard in an RF cesspool surrounded by high powered local transmitters, such as los angeles. In a region where everything is a fringe area, one bulb wipes out the entire VHF broadcast band.

Kurt