RFI

Re: [RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification

Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Limits on Harmful Interference: Clarification
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 20:53:48 -0800
"FCC has since increased the maximum required frequency of measurements that applies to those limits from "the fifth harmonic of the highest frequency used (and if you generate it, you use it)" to (if that can not be determined) to 40 GHz. Other than that, there have been no changes for quite a number of decades."

I suppose if this was the late 50's, this would be awesome! Perhaps, in light of how bad it has gotten, nearly 3/4 of a century later, it's time to review the decade old standards, and come up with some real-world (as of this time, and reasonably foreseen) requirements, with a reasonable limit on strength. Old junk electronics will die off, new stuff can meet a better standard, such as we are learning with plasma TV's.

Speaking of which, I have a new to me, relatively modern vehicle, that is an RFI/EMI cesspool. I'm envisioning sheathing the wiring in EMI tape and bonding everything I can. I'll have to jump into SDR with both feet as hearing a few kHz at a time with an HT, or even seeing a few MHz with an HP, or Singer spectrum analyzer is no longer sufficient, I want to see many, many MHz at a time, in real time, and also have the ability to sniff individual wires/harnesses/modules. It should be fun, and if a hobbyist can do it after the fact, those in the industry can achieve it during the design phase.

Kurt