RFI

Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

To: "'Hare, Ed W1RFI'" <w1rfi@arrl.org>, "'Tony Brock-Fisher'" <barockteer@aol.com>, "'Tony'" <dxdx@optonline.net>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>, "'Gruber, Mike W1MG'" <mgruber@arrl.org>, "'Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF'" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI
From: "John K9UWA" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 09:04:14 -0400
Regarding SolarEdge or any other company selling and installing Solar
powered equipment.

These cases are not the first ones.

SolarEdge has fixed others so they are RFI quiet.

You can't tell me that SolarEdge doesn't have a test facility or could easily
create one where they could test their equipment. "They" could then modify
their equipment to no longer create RFI and from that day forward ALL of
their systems would have the proper equipment and not create RFI.

Last year I was in Marshall, MO near the Fitzgibbons Hospital's Solar
System. It is designed to run this hospital and it is one massive system.
There is an access gravel road that runs though the middle of the system. I
slowly went through it while running my Icom IC-706 mobile rig through 1.8
up through 10M bands. Right in the middle of this system yes it created
about 2 S units of noise on the 706. Once I was a couple blocks away from
the system I couldn't hear any noise from the system. While not perfect
when one considers the size of this solar system vs some individual's
house system it really wasn't too bad. I am sure due to the location of this
system that RFI was never a required specification in building this system.
https://www.marshallnews.com/photos/25/36/74/2536744-B.jpg
That picture only shows a very small portion of this system. The Panels
cover an area that is 800 feet by 600 feet.

Conclusion SolarEdge could have already permanently solved the problem
if they wanted to do so.

John k9uwa

> > Thanks to my neighbor, I have unrestricted access to the system so
> > I've been able to perform these tests dozens of times. I'm hoping
> > SolarEdge will come out and do the same.
> >
> > Tony -K2MO

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations
k9uwa@arrl.net