RFI

RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL

To: "Dave Bernstein" <dave.bernstein@comcast.net>,"'EDWARDS, EDDIE J'" <eedwards@oppd.com>, <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>,"'Ford Peterson'" <ford@cmgate.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] From Communications Daily re: BPL
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:32:30 -0400
At 01:15 PM 9/1/2004, Dave Bernstein wrote:

Given the large number of homes in this country with cable or DSL
connectivity, why aren't electric utilities already providing these services
if they represent such a compelling opportunity? Cable+HomePlug or
DSL+HomePlug is indistinguishable from BPL for this purpose.

a) I'm not persuaded this is such a compelling opportunity for companies that seem to have their hands full just keeping the lights on.

b) I wouldn't expect them to do the service thing if it meant having to use other people's wires to pass the signals back and forth.

c) Hopefully this is all moot, as WiFi and WiMax-based distribution fills the rural infrastructure gap.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on August 2, 2004
2753 contest stations at