RFI

[RFI] Mobile EMI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Mobile EMI
From: Mike Roden - W5JR <w5jr@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:41:37 -0500
The fuel pump noise in my '02 Yukon is horrible, especially
20m-10m.  The injector noise is also very ugly, particularly when
accelerating.  I am unable to do any SWL/AM listening due to the
wider bandwidth because of the injector and fuel pump noise.  The GM
dealer claims there are is not a fuel pump bulletin for the '02 like
there was for my '93 Suburban.  I have thrown beads and ground straps
at the thing and have probably added 20 lbs to the vehicle weight
with very little improvement.  Thank goodness the noise blanker in
the 706mkIIG works for me to knock down the injector noise to usable
levels - except that on 40m, the broadcast is so strong in the
evenings that desired signals have NB distortion on them.  Without
the NB, the injector noise is well over S9 at idle.

The latest contributor is the display of the XM Roady 2 receiver.  It
raises the noise level by several S units across the bands.  Any
recommendations for that one?  I have not tried any ferrites on the
power leads yet - I just turn it off when on HF.

Thanks.

***************************************
Message: 10
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:07:34 -0600
From: "A. Sewell" <alan.n5na@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile EMI
To: rfi@contesting.com

Hardy,

I have a 2000 Silverado.  I installed some snapon ferrite beads as close
to the fuel pump as I could.  It helped quite a but there is still some
noise there.

73,

Alan  N5NA

Mike - w5jr@arrl.net - Alpharetta, GA