RFI

How to deal with neighbors (was RE: [RFI] DVD/TVI interference)

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: How to deal with neighbors (was RE: [RFI] DVD/TVI interference)
From: w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:16:54 -0500
There are two tools that may help with a neighbor. The first is the pamphlet
ARRL jointly publishes with the Consumer Electronics Manufacturers Association.
See:

http://www.arrl.org/news/rfi/neighbors.html

The second is the older, now sadly out of print, FCC RFI information. It is
reprinted in the ARRL RFI Book (http://www.arrl.org/catalog/6834) or is
available at:

http://www.arrl.org/fcc/tvibook.html

This explains in very clear terms that interference to non-radio equipment is
not caused by a rules violation at your station, but by that equipment
improperly functioning as a radio receiver.

When your neighbor first comes a knocking, hand him or her a copy of both sets
of material and suggest he read it through. Then he can come to you with any
questions. It may be a good idea to stay off the air for a while, but if you
do, set a time limit, as in "I will stay off the air tonight, to give you time
to read the material."  Without a time limit, your neighbor's problem is solved
-- you are off the air, which is the first solution that ocmes to his or her
mind.

When you do start talking with the neighbor, start by talking about what the
FCC requires of you. "The FCC requires that I operate my station legally. If my
station transmit signals that are not on my assigned frequencies, the rules are
very clear -- I must put a filter on my transmitter to eliminate those
signals." At this point, your neighbor is listening, because you are talking
about your responsibilities. You can then show him your station (clean up the
rats nest) and point to that low-pass or bandpass filter with pride.

It is always a good idea to clean up all RFI at your own home. You can then
show him or her the filters you have put on your own equipment.  This shows
that the filters work and that they cause no harm. Besides, it is a really good
"diplomacy" tool to be able to say, "I'm sorry you can't watch TV at your house
while I am on the air, but you can come to my house and watch TV while I am on
the air." They usually get the idea then that the problem might be on their end.

You can then explain to your neighbor that you would take care of any problems
at your station, but will also help find a solution to the problem, even if it
not caused by any rules violations at your station. Most reasonable neighbors
may not agree that it isn't your fault, but if you are willing to help solve
it, that is good enough for them.

As I say in my RFI club talks, what happens when that first knock occurs sets
the tone for all that follows.  The interpersonal aspects of RFI are most
important, because knowing all of the technical solutions won't do any good if
your neighbor won't let you into the house to try them.

See http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfigen.html for all of ARRL's RFI material.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06111
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: w1rfi@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis

ARRL is the National Association for Amateur Radio.  It is supported by
membership dues, individual contributions and the sale of  publications and
advertising. For more information about ARRL, go to
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/inside-your-league.html. For more information
about membership, go to http://www.arrl.org/join.html.  Your contribution can
also help support ARRL's ongoing efforts to protect Amateur spectrum. Go to
https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/basic/ to learn more about the
ways you can support the ARRL programs and activities of most importance to
you. You can help ARRL protect Amateur Radio for you and future generations to
enjoy.