RFI

Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>, "Ash Thornton" <thorntonash@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI
From: "Alan Robinson" <robinsah@engr.orst.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 12:53:25 -0800
A couple of thoughts............

The fact that the noise (RFI) goes away after a storm would indicate an outside
source on the power line. It also means that the source is not inside an
arrester. So using an ultrasonic locator, like the Radar Engineers Model 250,
should be helpful in locating the source(s) after the pole is identified.

You didn't say what kind of yagi antenna they were using with the Radar
Engineers RFI locator. So I will assume that it is actually the log periodic
that comes with the Model 240 RFI Locator. This beam is essentially a two
element beam with a wide frequency response. I would suggest using a
multi-element yagi, such as the Cushcraft A4496S, a 6 element yagi for 440 to
450 MHz. It is much more directional and with higher gain. I sometimes use an 8
element 685 MHz yagi. This antenna is like a "flashlight" for RFI. The Model
240 does have an RF antenuator. So strong signals can be located.

In my experience, if you get a good DF signal at 685 MHz, you found the pole
with the offending hardware. Then use the 250 Ultrasonic to pin point the part
that needs replacing.

In one recent case I worked on the offending hardware turned out to be one of
the new solid state lightning arresters. Naturally I couldn't get an audio
signal from it. But I did have a very strong DF signal at 685 MHz. Then the
local utility used a Model 247-B Hotstick Line Sniffer and found the part
immediately. The arrester was replaced and that pole has been quiet ever since.
It had been producing S9+ interference for more than a mile.

Good luck with you RFI locating.

73,

Alan
W4LKE