RFI

[RFI] U-verse VDSL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] U-verse VDSL
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:51:06 -0800 (PST)
I now have U-verse installed. Out of the box 10 watts on 40-160 blew away the
modem. There was a lot of noise on the phones, installer didn't put in any
phone filters. 6-20 meters doesn't seem to be a problem.

There is a VDSL splitter at the box coming into the house. I put a DSL filter
at the splitter before the run to all the house phones and a 0.33 ufd capacitor
across the house phone lines. No more noise on the phones.
As a bonus, there is no more RFI on the phones when I tranmit.

600 watts out on all bands 160-10 except 80 meters over about 20 watts the
modem works fine with no drop out. Not toroids, modem not grounded to TV
converter box etc.

With my 50 uamp RF sniffer I can see a lot of RF on the coax from the splitter
to the modem and very little on the AC lines.

My question is what core material should I use to install the big binocular
type chokes on the coax and how do you wind them? There must be a link to the
info, but I can't find it.

I had two cores of unknow material and wound about 12 turns thru them. I don't
see and difference in RF levels on either side with my sniffer ?

TNX, Rick N6PE