RFI

[RFI] Grounding the Operating Position

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Grounding the Operating Position
From: EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:32:24 -0500

        Hi Dave,

        Braid does give a large surface area for grounding, but todays comm
stds are to not use braid in the grounding especially outdoors where you
will get corrosion.  The reason is when it starts to corrode between all the
little strands you start to get external rectification or "the Rusty Bolt
effect".  This can lead to IM & other EMI/RFI problems.

        Use either a #6 bare with green insulation or a 1-1/2" copper strap
if available.  Cu strap made by Polyphaser can be bought from most Ham
outlets now.  Run all grounds to a Master Ground Bus or MGB connected
directly to a single point ground system.  To learn more about single point
grounding visit the Polyphaser web site at http://www.polyphaser.com and
click on the Technical Documents link.  The PTD1016.pdf is just for hams,
but lots of good stuff there so be prepared to do some reading!

        Good Luck!

        73,
        de ed -K0iL

--