RFI

Re: [RFI] HVAC RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com, n2icarrl@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HVAC RFI
From: Gary Johnson via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 13:08:15 -0700
My brand new Carrier Infinity HVAC system is totally RFI quiet. Multiple
adjustable speed drives. Except for the big compressor, the drive electronics
are integrated into the motor housings, eliminating many likely RFI radiators.
There’s a HUGE board full of L, C, and ferrite chokes at the power inlet to the
compressor. I have to hand it to Carrier, they did a thorough job. I have to
walk right up to the equipment with my DFing antenna to detect anything. If
there was a problem, I noted that there is room inside all enclosures for
additional custom filter components. Photos available.

Also a big Bryant mini split was just installed at N6RO. I had previously been
taken by the contractor to an identical installation to check for RFI. Nothing
detected! Same for the Mitsubishi mini split at my remote station, where it
sits right under all the antennas. This is all good news… I’m beginning to
think that the major manufacturers are doing the right thing.

Gary NA6O