RFI

[RFI] Power Lines

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Power Lines
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:06:51 -0800
     I am near the path of a rather large DC transmission network called the
Pacific DC Intertie. There is some awesome technology involved in this HVDC. A
rather large Building about 100 miles North of my shack is used to house the
rectifiers alone. Some fascinating reading  here: "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_DC_Intertie "   This system runs between
The Dalles Oregon on the Columbia river and Sylmar Calif. This system can and
has been used with the earth as one ground return "wire" and the transmission
line as the other. Not your backyard ground rod used here. Can you say galvanic
reaction on your water pipes?  There are 4 Power generation dams within 20
miles of my shack and I am delighted that the closest 238Kv line coming out of
the Round Butte Dam about 5 miles from my shack is pretty quiet. I have only
heard the fizz when driving near it. Other smaller dams use a lower voltage and
feed local grids.
Lee K7TJR Oregon