RFI

Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Covering Solar Panels To Assess RFI
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 16:11:41 +0000
Although it seems intuitive that escalating these problems to the FCC or other
actions with legal implications will speed things up, just the opposite it
true. Right now, we have good contact with Solar Edge engineering and just
today, managed to segue that into contact with another manufacturer to be named
later.  They are interested in EMC solutions and want to fix problems.  I am
just today thinking that with two manufacturers involved, we may be able to
form a Working Group and write an IEEE standard Recommended Practice on good
EMC design, installation and field solutions to any remaining problems.

When manufacturers are willing to work with us, we are much better to do that
than to try to increase the pressure. One letter from the FCC and we often hear
from the engineers that they can't talk to us any more but need to run all
communication through their legal department.

Jim, if we get the WG formed, I will let you know. I think you could add a lot,
especially in the area of ferrite suppression of existing systems and in proper
treatment of grounds and neutral wires on the AC mains side of things.  One
does not need to be an IEEE member to be in an IEEE Working Group, and in the
other WGs I am involved with, we are doing all meetings virtually, opening this
up to a much broader range of stakeholders..

Ed