RFI

Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:45:03 -0500
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM, David Cole <dave@nk7z.net> wrote:

> all know neither is is going to happen... But-- I wonder how many hams
> are getting discouraged by the RFI levels in the legal grow states, they
> are really high, (pun intended), in the legal states...
>
> Until you have lived in a legal grow state, in a residential area, you
> have NO IDEA how bad it can get...  We have caused at least three grow
> operations to move, or stop, all within a one mile radius of my QTH...
> We live in a nice residential area where homes are close to 300K each,
> not in Deliverance country, so pretty much everyone is getting Cards and
> growing.  I can only hope legalization puts some controls on things here
> in Oregon.

Deliverance County banned grow ops.  :-)

I get that you don't want your name brought up so just stick to the
RFI part and how this is a commercial-scale operation in a residential
area and not discuss the larger issue.

Your city council rep needs to be made aware of how many grow sites
are in your neighborhood.  Tell them that, while you are *sure* they
are completely legal, they are creating a nuisance.  Your state reps
need to hear the same thing.  Both need to hear the message that
otherwise completely legal  commercial-scale grow sites (run by Kind
People That Just Want To Help) don't belong in residential areas.

If you can get general location, the cops can confirm if it's a legal
grow site but from some of the law enforcement sites I looked at, they
can't get much else.  They need probably cause to get a warrant
because I didn't see any indication that there was any requirement
that grow sites allow for inspections.

In short, your state's pot laws need re-thinking!  Way too many
loopholes and unintended consequences.

There is a pot law thing on Oklahoma's ballot this fall and this has
given me new perspective on it.  I'm not necessarily against
legalizing pot, but I am definitely against poorly-written laws.  And
this "medical" law seems like a dumb idea.  If it's to be legalized,
then treat it like alcohol and tobacco with all the taxation and
regulation that goes along with that.

And get a section written that says "all grow sites must comply with
relevant FCC regulations"!!

LEGAL NOTICE:  While I am not a barber (but will soon need a haircut)
this advice should be labeled "barbershop advice" if offered as
evidence in any legal proceeding!