RFI

Re: [RFI] AFCI and RFI

To: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] AFCI and RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 15:55:50 +0000
Our home was built 4 years ago.  We have the same problem.  Also, one of
the switches in the master suite evidently arcs a bit as that also trips
the d$%^& breaker as you describe.  RF also gets to it.  Gott'a just love
this digital age ! !

Dave - WØLEV

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Kenneth G. Gordon <kgordon2006@frontier.com
> wrote:

> Local codes require those new AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter)
> breakers in any circuit feeding a bedroom here.
>
> We have two such circuits feeding our bedroom and an adjacent office in a
> recent addition to our home.
>
> Whenever I am on 40 meters, either one or both AFCIs will trip off. This
> is highly annoying to my wife, and I don't like it much either.
>
> I have contacted the maker of the breakers, Square D, and they tell me,
> after some rudimentary tests, that there is nothing wrong with their
> breakers.
>
> So, I am left with trying to filter the RF off the lines to the breakers.
>
> I had thought of connecting an X-2 type 0.01 uFd capacitor across the line
> and neutral wires going into the breaker, and a pair of Y-2 0.01 uFd types
> from both line and neutral to ground.
>
> However, I am somewhat reluctant to try this as I suspect that the leakage
> across those caps will trip the AFCI off.
>
> Tonight I thought that perhaps some ferrite filters, either a series of
> snap-on types, or some toroid types, on each wire which connects to the
> breaker would filter enough of the RF to prevent the breakers from
> tripping off.
>
> Has anyone here run into this sort of problem and if so, how did you
> eliminate that?
>
> BTW, I am a qualified electrician, and wired our entire addition and the
> sub-panel which contains these breakers. The local Electrical Inspector
> gave me an "A" grade for my work.
>
> Additional information: I am running close to a kW output to a vertical
> antenna which is about 25 feet from the breaker-panel. The vertical has a
> good ground-system, 32 radials, and I don't get this sort of problem from
> any band but 40 meters. My favorite mode is CW, although I also operate
> some digital modes, but at lower power, like 50 watts. I seldom operate
> voice. The digital signals never trip the AFCIs.
>
> Ken W7EKB
>

> ---

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*