RFI

Re: [RFI] New EOC Building

To: "'jim@audiosystemsgroup.com'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] New EOC Building
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 14:24:07 +0000
You make a good point Jim.  There's nothing I could find in the
guidelines/standard aimed at operations below 30MHz.

However, an EOC is a really just special Comm Site.  I wouldn't ignore industry
recommendations for lightning protection and AC power safety based on the fact
it's doesn't specify any standards for operations below 30 MHZ if they even
exist.  Lightning is very broadbanded so anything put into place to deal with
lightning will benefit the ham bands as well as commercial site operations.  If
things are bonded and grounded properly, there's much less chance of creating
other unexpected RF problems no matter what the frequency of operation.

My rule for using R56 at ham shacks:  Look for special exception guidelines
like 911 centers, roof mounted sites, etc, that may be similar to what your ham
shack looks like in your home.  For an EOC, I'd look very closely at guidelines
for 911 dispatch comm centers that must operate 24/7/365.

73, de ed -K0iL