RFI

[RFI] Neon signs?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Neon signs?
From: EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 10:25:11 -0600
Okay, I should've looked this up first!

The ARRL's "RFI: How 2 find it & fix it" book has a fix for Neon signs and
it's not ferrites!  The ARRL's RFI books are excellent resources for many
EMI problems.  I highly recommended that everyone add one to your library.

The fix calls for an AC Line filter mtd directly at the sign's transformer,
and also resistors (10-Kohm, 1-W) in series with each high voltage lead to
the sign.  Also, they mention ensuring a good ground connection for the
transformer case.  This is probably missing in many installations.  A 3-to-2
prong adapter, if used, would eliminate the needed ground.

Lastly they suggest for tough cases: try winding thin magnet wire around the
neon tube along it's entire length (6 or 7 turns per foot) and ground at
each end.

An electrician should probably do most if not all of the above work
(especialy that last one!).

73, de ed -K0iL

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html