RFI

Re: [RFI] Anyone observed damage to the "guard wire grounds"?

To: "'RFI List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Anyone observed damage to the "guard wire grounds"?
From: "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:17:39 +0000
I have never heard them called 'guard' wires.  Normal terminology for a
non-power carrying conductor above the power line are 'shield' or 'static'
wire.  These are normally only used on higher voltage systems where the
power conductors are high enough to be exposed to lightning above the trees.
Lower voltage distribution lines normally have a 'ground' or 'neutral' wire
under the power conductors.  Both of those types of wires should be grounded
regularly.  Shield wires are normally grounded at every tower or pole
because the main purpose is to provide a safe path to ground for lightning
currents.  Ground wires may not be grounded at every pole, but should be
connected to all pole hardware, like guy wires, transformers, and lightning
arresters.

Any time you see a wire broken on a pole, or observe any other damage to a
pole you should report it to the power company giving them the street
address and any numbers on tags that are on the pole.  Note that with the
changes to electric company organization the company that handles
distribution problems (poles on your street that feed houses and businesses)
is probably different than the one that handles transmission lines (the big
lines that go between substations and generation stations).  If you don't
know which is which or who to call contact your local non-emergency police
or fire dispatch center (unless something is burning or arcing, then use
911) and let them pass it on.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net