RFI

Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

To: "'<Rfi@contesting.com>'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 20:53:40 +0000
If you contact the FCC, it will probably send the case directly to ARRL.  Not
many years ago, the FCC did essentially nothing in response to complaints,
stating that it didn't have the staff resources to deal with individual
complaints. Beginning with Riley Hollingsworth, both Riley and ARRL managed to
open that door a lot more widely, but with the provision that ARRL would try to
work with hams to resolve problems before asking for FCC help.  This involves
first assessing whether the reported noise is harmful interference as defined
by FCC rules.  It is then necessary to ensure that the noise source has been
correctly identified.  FCC then wants the ham to try to resolve it first,
usually by directly working with a neighbor, utility, company, etc.  As each of
those steps unfolds, ARRL documents these efforts to resolve problem.  Then, if
the parties involved do not act responsibly, FCC can and does send an advisory
letter to try to facilitate resolution.

Politicians are not the answer. To them, this is a matter of pitting a hobby
against big business or the general public. Amateur Radio will not come out
looking good if it opens that can of worms.

Congress is probably not going enact an Act that changes Part 15, so the matter
will be up to the FCC.  FCC is not going to change the limits or place any
licensed service underneath an unintentional emitter, and if we continue to
work reasonably with what seems to be a generally cooperative industry, it is
not likely that any solar company or utility will ask them to.

I think we are on the best possible track and ARRL staff in the Lab will
continue to work with hams, Solar Edge, Tesla and the FCC, both globally and on
individual cases.

Ed Hare, W1RFI