RFI

Re: [RFI] Experience with RF-INQUIRY Hi-Q Chokes?

To: Tom Rauch <w8ji@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Experience with RF-INQUIRY Hi-Q Chokes?
From: michael.findley@ni.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:42:31 -0600

What the hell, If you got the cash I got the stamp.

                      "Tom Rauch"

                      <w8ji@contesting.        To:       "Ian White, G3SEK"
<g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <rfi@contesting.com>
                      com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [RFI] Experience
with RF-INQUIRY Hi-Q Chokes?
                      rfi-bounces@conte

                      sting.com

                      02/02/2004 08:33

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      Tom Rauch

> Hmmm... we seem to be deep into the territory where "the more you claim
> to have achieved, the more you need to prove it."
>

> Tom added:
> >By the way, if the common mode source and load impedances are a fraction
of
> >an ohm it is easy to obtain -50dB. If the common mode source and load
> >impedances (which have nothing much to do with line impedance) are 1000
> >ohms, we would be lucky to see 10dB.
> >
> >It depends on how they measured.
>
> The standard method is to measure between a 50-ohm source and load - the
> input being to the coax shield at one end, and the output from the
> shield at the opposite end.

Standard schmandard.

People can measure things like this any way they like. I use a 50 ohm
network analyzer that has a 50 ohm source and load, but some CE tests or
"do
it yourself" tests use other methods.

Not to flog this dead horse (I doubt they REALLY have 50dB CMR with a
50ohm/50 ohm test) further into submission, but they may also measure
without zeroing out effects of cable lengths. For example if  I measure
attenuation without normalizing out connecting lines the results are
different than when the lines are not a factor.

My hunch is they just used a signal generator and a voltmeter, or some
other
sloppy method. It's like measuring current in loading coils :-).

73 Tom