RFI

Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up

To: kd4e <doc@kd4e.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Belkin PureAV™ Home Theater Battery Back up
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 06:32:32 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, kd4e wrote:

> Good info.
>
> What I need is a good UPS that doesn't generate hash while
> recharging, maintenance charging, or inline use during a
> grid failure.
>
> My goal is for everything important to function off-grid
> but I am a long ways from that.
>
> What would you recommend in the way of a UPS (600W or more)
> that is RF-quiet, reliable, and provides for external
> batteries so the time-up may be extended (without melting
> the inverter)?

1) Large station battery pack (I like the Concord Lifeline AGMs) with a
good PS/smart charger like an IOTA unit.  (NEVER NEVER NEVER play with wet
cell or other batts that are not ultra-low outgass types inside.  Too many
risks with outgassing or spillage.)

2) 1000 - 2000 watt quality/quite inverter, assume you will need to
build/buy DC side filters and install ferrite on output, maybe an isobar
ultra as well (Isobars, 6 and 8 outlet models seem to have very good
common/diff mode filtration below 2Mhz).

That takes care of the shack.

3) 100ft *heavy* extension cord, I have a nice 6ga silicone jacket one,
meant for running a block heater.  More than enough to temp power a 600w
load on the other side of the house.

4) 1000i or 2000i Honda genset

I have 1, 2, 3 though the batt bank is only 210amp/hr (growing by
105amp/hr every 6 months).

I only bother with the inverter if I want to keep a computer up, or watch
TV during an outage.