RFI

Re: [RFI] Appliance interference and approvals (was Sears battery charge

To: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Appliance interference and approvals (was Sears battery charger model #200.71222)
From: "Christopher E. Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:12:38 -0500 (CDT)

This I think is the big issue.  Even 30 years ago what did these devices
have, a few switches, maybe a motor or some heating elements.

Ok, some switch and brush arcing.

Now they all have an onboard computer, switch mode supply and if it has a
motor a VFD....

Personal opinion, we need the ARRL and many thousands of hams pushing the
FCC to

1) Remove the appliance exemption.  It was valid at the time, but this
time is long past.

2) Rewrite the emmisions limits in part 15.  Starting with the CE
standards might be a good idea, lower limits and the testing starts at a
lower freq.

3) Update the testing spec to better simulate real world installations.

We know this is viable, after all there is no shortage of consumer devices
available in markets with much stricter limits than the US.