RFI

Re: [RFI] Info needed

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Info needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:50:41 -0700
On 7/17/2024 12:16 PM, Dave (NK7Z) wrote:
If you are trying to suppress 14 MHz and lower I would use mix31, if above 14, mix43.

Fair-Rite #43 is NEVER a good choice below 30 MHz. Mix #31 is the only good choice for 160M through 10M, and slightly better than #43 for 6M.

Place about 7 to 10 wraps of cable on a ferrite.  Each pass through center counts as a turn...

Number of turns needed depends strongly on the core. For most #31 clamp-ons, 2 turns is about right for 6M, 3 for 10M, 5 for 40-10M.

It is CRITICAL that turns are sequential around the center of the core. Out of sequence turns cancel. I ran into this with the year-plus of lab research that produced the latest (2018) Cookbook. It can be difficult to get 5 turns in sequence through a clamp-on and have them stay that way, although cable-ties can help. Depending on the o.d. of the cable and the i.d. of the core, even 4 turns can be difficult. There are a couple of photos showing this on page 22 of my latest update of my original RFI tutorial.

http://k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC